Monday, April 21, 2014

Interview questions

My niece Keslee Anderson asked to interview me about my Army career. She emailed me and I answered the questions the best I could. To preserve some of the answers I post them here:

Were you drafted or did you enlist?
I enlisted.

Where were you living at the time?
I was living with my parents in Paradise Utah

Why did you join?
I joined because I had always liked the Army, didn’t know what I wanted to do, and I wanted to get far away from Paradise and Utah.

Why did you pick the service branch you joined?
Because I had no clue as what I was doing. I just went into the closest recruiting office.

Do you recall your first days in service?
I do. The first days of training were three days of inprocessing at Fort Jackson, SC. Interesting enough almost 30 years to the day later I out processed for my retirement at Fort Jackson, SC. Just last August

What did it feel like?
I was very excited and nervous all at the same time. I had no idea of what to expect.

Tell me about your boot camp/training experience(s).
My first training experience was at basic training at Fort Benning, GA. Basic training was very much a culture shock. I was in great physical condition at the time so this part was easy. I didn’t like being yelled at. I’ve since been to Officer Candidate school. The human intelligence collectors course, the basic intelligence analyst course, the advanced intelligence analyst course, and the counterintelligence course.

Do you remember your instructors?
I do remember. I don’t remember their names, but I can picture their faces very well. One was tall and skinny the other just short, very short. I never knew an individual could us the F-word so many times and in so many ways in the same sentence.

How did you get through it?
I don’t really know. I just knew I was going to quit.

Where exactly did you go?
I spent two months at FT Benning for basic training, then went to Friedberg Germany, then to Fort Hood, TX, then to Fort Richardson, AK, then I went to part-time training in Utah, then full time at Camp Williams, Utah, then to Iraq for 18 months, then to the National Ground Intelligence Center in Charlottesville, VA, then back to Iraq again, then to Afghanistan, then to East Tennessee State University in Johnson City Tennessee. I’ve taken short assignments in Panama, Japan, Seattle, and Texas

Do you remember arriving and what it was like?
I remember arriving at all my duty locations. The most traumatic was my arrival to Afghanistan. In Bagram Airbase, where we arrived, they would hold “fallen comrade ceremonies” for every Soldier who died in Afghanistan. Every killed Soldier was flown back to the United States from Afghanistan from the Bagram Airfield. They would put the flag-draped coffins in the back of a truck and slowly drive the truck down the main and only road on the airbase. Everyone would line the road and salute the coffin as it slowly passed. Right after we got off the plan in Afghanistan, even before we unpacked, we lined the road in a fallen comrade ceremony. This really cause all of us to consider the realities of war.

What was your job/assignment?
My assignment in Afghanistan was as a counterintelligence agent.

Did you see combat?
Yes. Twice in Iraq and once in Afghanistan

Were there many casualties in your unit. 
We had no fatalities in any of our deployments to Iraq or Afghanistan. Our worst casualty was when a brit was showing off his stolen Iraqi pistol to one of your Soldiers and accidently shot him in the leg

Were you awarded any medals or citations?
I’ve received the Army Meritorious Service Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Four Army Commendation Medals, Four Army Achievement Medal, two Army Good Conduct Medals, and the Expert Infantryman’s Badge. I’ve earned the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, the Iraq Campaign Medal 2nd, the War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medial, and the War on Terrorism Service Medal.

How did you get them?
The commendation medals were for exceptional achievement. The Joint commendation medal was for looking for Sadaam’s Weapons of Mass Destruction.

How did you stay in touch with your family?
At first, only by letter from Germany, then in Iraq by email and phone. In Afghanistan by phone and Skype.

What was the food like?
The food was generally good, too good, especially in Iraq and Afghanistan. It was easy to get fat. When I was first in Iraq, I ate MRE rations for 40 days. I was very sick of them by then

Did you have plenty of supplies?
Yes, I always had everything I needed

Did you feel pressure or stress?
Yes, especially on my first deployment to Iraq. The stress was tremendous. The uncertainty was very hard.

Was there something special you did for "good luck"?
Pray

How did people entertain themselves?
 DVDs and books

What did you do when on leave?
Stayed with family and beyond that, as little as possible

Where did you travel while in the service?
Georgia, South Carolina, Germany, Texas, Panama, Japan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar

Do you recall any particularly humorous or unusual event?
Yes, we had a senor NCO who told us to push a big heavy tent off the truck onto his back because he said, “These shoulders are mighty broad so push it off, boys, push it off.” The tent crushed him and pinned his face into the snow. He was in tears and his face was frozen when we finally got it off. He was a big jerk so we thought it very funny.

What were some of the pranks that you or others would pull?
I hid an open sardine can under the bed of Soldiers in another room. They couldn't find it, but as the sardines began to rot their room stank so bad you couldn't even walk into it. Their sergeant would scream at them to clean their room every time he walked in. After a couple of weeks the stench became so bad that they had to take at all the furniture and clean it from top to bottom. When they took out the furniture they found the rotting sardines.

What did you think of officers or fellow soldiers?
I became friends with most of them.

Did you keep a personal diary?
Not a very good one. It’s one of my regrets.

Do you recall the day your service ended?
Yes, 1 November 2014

Where were you?
Fort Jackson, SC

What did you do in the days and weeks afterward?
Looked for and stressed about finding a new job.


Did you work or go back to school?
I went to school while I was serving part-time in the National Guard

Was your education supported by the G.I. Bill?
Yes, the army paid for all my education as well as two semesters for both Jacob and Joe.

Did you make any close friendships while in the service?
Yes, very good

Did you continue any of those relationships
Yes, I’m still friends with people I knew from 30 years ago.

For how long?
 30 years

What did you go on to do as a career after the war?
I’m still with the Army as a civilian. I teach military science classes as an assistant professor of military science at East Carolina University, in Greenville, NC

Did your military experience influence your thinking about war or about the military in general?
Yes, war is a terrible thing. If you going to do it, do will all your force and power.

Do you attend reunions?
Yes, but have had very few

How did your service and experiences affect your life?
It’s affected every aspect of my life, but mostly how important family is and spending time with your kids.


Is there anything you would like to add that we have not covered in this interview?  
no



No comments:

Post a Comment