Monday, April 21, 2014

"Best and Worst about my mission..." Jacob's Latest Letter From Brazil

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Anderson [mailto:andersonjray@myldsmail.net]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2014 10:37 AM

Subject: Best and Worst about my mission...

I was asked a very interesting question last week. "What are the best and worst 2 experiences you have had".. I spent just about the rest of day thinking about it and some more time through out the week. I will start out off with serving a mission is probably the most interesting time of my life. I think about the time I spent at FUMA. The first month i was unable to have any communication with family or friends; there was no relief. They literally took away freedoms. There was no choice. This was pretty difficult time and miserable. But my mission is completely different. Its about about making the right choice. This is a 2 year learning a experience that i will never have again. A scripture that i love comes to mind when I think about this. 2 Nephi
11
"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things.If not so, my firstborn in the wilderness, righteousness could notbe brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness normisery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruptionnor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense norinsensibility."

When I arrived at the MTC it was different and I had trials, but i loved it. Arriving in Brazil receiving a companion who only spoke Portuguese in a culture that is completely different. I haven't had a single thing happen on my mission that i have learned. I wake up everyday to be better then i was yesterday.

"For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors."

My mission is full of opposition. If it were not so i would know the good from the bad. I will take a moment to share with you some of these things.
My single worst experience was probably watching my companion go home(struggle to except his testimony). I cannot explain, because i do not know, exactly what happened but he decided that he did not have a strong enough testimony to endure to the end. But as sad as it was to see him go home I learned to accept the light i have received. I accepted the faith i have and will follow it. One step at a time.

When I first arrived on Brazil my ability to communicate my thoughts was limited and my understanding of the language was even worse. This was very difficult and at times still is very difficult. But... wow... Cannot even begin to explain to the progress i have made and the joy that comes to my heart because of my progress. Specifically my first few Sundays in Brazil. Having members trying to express thoughts, communicate with me, and not being able to understand or reply was very very very tough. This has been and will continue to be a very difficult and rewarding experience.

The testimony and knowledge of the gospel has probably been the most rewarding experience that I have had on my mission. It has only happened slowly. As i read more and pray more often my thoughts change and my heart is opened.. The gospel of Jesus Christ is true... AND ITS AMAZING. we have prophets who communicate with God and help us understand the will of God. We have the authority of God restored on the the earth today that makes salvation and then exaltaion possible.
The Book of Mormon is the word of God and is true. Becuase the Book of Mormon is true everythign else we preach is true as well. READ THE BOOK OF MORMONG. PRAY ABOUT THE BOOK OF MORMON. be humble and change.
--
And they call me
Elder Anderson

For behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment