Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Sister Bridgette Vejnar: Second Week in the MTC!

 So I guess I didn't give enough information on my companion, or district. My companions name is Sister Huefner pronounced Huffner just think of hufflepuff. She is from Bear lake, Utah and my whole district is going to my same mission. We fly out Wednesday of this week and have to be at the airport at 4 in the morning, it's going to be a long day!!! I am convinced I have the best district and zone! everyone is awesome! We have 10 Elders total in our zone and 4 Sisters in our zone (including me) in our district we have 4 Sisters and 2 Elders.
So last Saturday after I sent my letter I went to the temple with my zone and Elder Vejnar and his companion, then I painted my nails and was happy again and today I will probably do the same.
On Sunday it was fast Sunday and I actually wasn't starving! We heard from Elder Bednar, it was a video not live, but in that he said we are like the cookie monster and we want what we want and when we want it which is now, and he said to burst your bubbles elders and sisters, a mission is not about you, and if you think it is you are in for a huge surprise, because missionary work is not about you it's about being selfless and never thinking of yourself. So that was a really good talk for me and for everyone else to hear I feel. We also did a walk around the Provo temple and took some pictures. It was really fun to get out and enjoy fresh air. Also we had a meeting in the morning right after sacrament with everyone in the MTC and sang the BEST version of Called to Serve, it was pretty powerful!
On Monday we woke up to do a service project which was to clean the bathrooms, only the girls though, I just don't understand how girls can get a bathroom that dirty in a week. So after that we got dressed and went to class but found out it was gym time, so for me I would have just been fine studying or going on a walk or something but my companion loves to work out so we went to change and go to the gym, I just run a mile and do some weight lifting when I go, I guess I'm glad my companion likes to work out or I would probably gain my MTC weight. I haven't lost or gained any weight so that's very good especially to see how I eat compared to what my companion chooses to eat. We then proceeded to study after gym time and went to lunch and then we went to teach through a program called TRC, I don't know what it stands for but what we do is get a random person to teach, we don't know if they are members acting like investigators or actual investigators so we just teach them like investigators. We got a lady named Barbara, She is about 60yrs, married for 40yrs, no kids, grew up Jewish and Catholic, went to a bunch of different churches but doesn't really know what she wants to learn from us. So we went in excited and ready to teach her about the restoration, yeah that didn't really work because she didn't even know who God was and if he was a person and what he does so we just focused on his love for us and what he does for us and prayer. We invited her to pray at the end of the lesson and really pushed it but said she wouldn't pray until she knew God was a real person and that she was in his image. So we kind of struggled with teaching her. Next we taught our teachers mocking an investigator as Harley, I think it was our best lesson we had ever taught yet, but we still didn't do very well asking enough questions. We then taught Luke we talked on Gods Love for him but we were thinking he wouldn't understand like our other investigators but he learns really fast so we had a short lesson, we underestimated him.
Tuesday we worked with Barbara again and we showed her a scripture that God is real and he is a person and she had never heard that before so she was just in huge shock and just talked about that the whole time and how he would make this earth to everyone's liking and how would he know what was beautiful and smelled good if he didn't have a body and senses so it was really awesome but she still wouldn't pray. We went to go see Elder Vejnar and take pictures and then to the gym, I got a 10 minute mile which is really good for me! We went to a devotional that night and had Elder and Sister Zwich from the 70...I don't know how to spell his last name. There granddaughter who is like 10yrs sang a couple of songs and she is really good! She sang for the president and sang with David Archaleta? Don't know how to spell that either but she was really good. Then Sister Zwick  played a video her granddaughter made for all the missionaries and it was so cute! It was awesome! I also earned the name Marvel from Elder Tupe because we talked about superheros and he's pretty cool. It was really busy but really good.
Wednesday we taught Harley and he is shy so it's hard to see what he is understanding but I think the lesson went well. Before we teach Barbara the Elders go before us and Barbara is a story teller, she loves to talk and she is really hard to keep on track with the lesson, so the elders went and took all our time to teach and there time so we had to give her a 10 minute lesson in order to be on time for our next class and it was hard because she just wanted to talk, but we taught her and she actually prayed! So mission accomplished for now. So then we taught Luke again and we taught on the plan of salvation, everything was going really well and he was understanding everything and he stayed intrested but then we got to the 3 degrees of glory and here's how it went. I said "So the celestial kingdom is where you go if you are a good member/person and keep progressing in like, the terrestrial kingdom is where you go wehn you hear about our church but are not interested, so if you decide to drop us then that's where you will go." And then Luke said "So your saying if I don't listen to you then I'm not going to the better place?" And my companion said "Well it's like 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place." And Luke just said "So I'm going to be in 2nd place if I don't go to your church and listen to you?" My companion and I had no idea what to say so we just looked at each other and gave him the plan of salvation pamphlet and invited him to read it and we bore our testimonies and left. It was so funny afterward but I'm glad we made the mistake on him because really he's our teacher instead of in the field.
Thursday our lesson with Barbara was awesome and when we were about to leave she asked us when we could come back but TRC is a 4 day thing so we told her we couldn't and swapped emails but I was really sad that we got her to progress so much! We also had a service project at 6:15am so we had to wake up way before we usually do. We dusted pictures and cleaned water fountains.
Friday was really long we had In-Field Orientation and we learned how to go up to random people and just talk to them about our church which was really hard for me but I will get better. We taught Luke but didn't we just talked to him and found out what we thought he understood he wasn't understanding so we have to kind of start over.
Every night we do a get to know you thing with our zone and it's so much fun, we have the best zone ever. I also found caffeine free Mountain Dew, So I can finally try it. This week went by super fast, we are really busy! We fly to California Wednesday! Also if you want to send a missionary a letter and have them get it the same day or the next day, use dearelder.com 
Well I have to go but I am having such a wonderful experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world


No comments:

Post a Comment