Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Joe's latest letter from Argentina, "The Crazy Colombian"


He who Joe calls, "The Crazy Colombian." 

Well what a week it has been... a lot of good things and a lot of dissapointing things aswell. One of the fun things that happened is that I went on divisions with a crazy columbian and we had a really good time working in my area. While we were tracting we knocked this house with two guys about 25 years old. When I tried to introduce myself they refused to shake my hand and asked me where I was from. I responed "the united states"...and thats where the trouble began. They started telling me about how terrible me and my country is. Long story short, they told me to go back I wasnt welcomed here and they really tried to instigate a fight. When my companion came in and told them that he was from columbia they didnt have anything to say. So before things got too heated I told them I didnt have control over where I was born or who my parents where... and then I told them to have a nice day and I walked away. So yeah that was fun and exciting. Oh and after we left my columbian companion for the day asked me why I cut it short, because he wanted to see if they were really brave enough to fight him. He his crazy by the way and loves MMA, would have killed them in a fight. But I just laughed and told him I didnt want them to get hurt.
We were able to find many new investigators this week but when we went back for the return appointment they were nowhere to be found. It is really hard sometimes when you plan and study literally for hours a day to help an investigator come closer to Christ, and then they arent there. But it is something that happens to every missionary in the world and something that we have to learn and grow from. I am grateful for the things I have been able to learn this week and the progress I have made as a missionary. When I first started my mission I was so excited and happy for the investigators and lessons that we had planned for the day that I didnt really even think about them not being there. So when I went to appointments and they werent there, I was crushed and it really brought my excitement and enthusiasm down. It made me kind of depressed and brought thoughts like "whats the point of working if people are just going to dissapoint all the time". It was something that I had to learn and grow from and I am glad to say that that is exactly what I have done. This week when we planned and made appointments for people and they werent there for the lesson. My companion and I kept our enthusiasm, knocked on the houses near by and then went to our "back up plan". And if the backup plan didnt work out (Which they more that often dont). We quickly looked for areas to contact and people to talk to. My companion and I kept working hard thorugh the daily trials of mission work and when we came back to the apartment tired and worn out, we considered our day "successful" because of our effort hard work that we had done. This week made me think of a quote that my mom gave me a while ago and I dont remember who it was from but it said something like "real success is going from failure to failrue without any loss of enthusiasm"
Trials are part of everday life. We have to have them in order to learn and grow. Things happen all the time in life that really stink and are hard, but our success is measured by how well we come out of our trials. I know that the mission life isnt easy, and the life after the mission is even harder, but I am grateful for the opportunities everyday to learn and grow and experience dificulties.
Well thats all I have to say this week. I hope all is well over there and everybody is watching and rooting for the United States and Argentina!!!!!!!

Love Elder Anderson


No comments:

Post a Comment