Tuesday, July 1, 2014

First fruits from my first Greenville garden

The fist picking is always the funnest. The tomatoes are the Better Boy variety. I planted one Better Boy plant because their hardy, come one fast, and Lowe's had big plants. I put it in the ground buried all the way up to the very last left. The very next night Greenville had a late freeze, one of the latest on record. The next day when I went to check on my Better Boy it was dead and withered, but remembering that I had buried most of the plant--as I always do when transplanting tomatoes, I dug around it to discover that the buried portions of the plant did not freeze. The plant survived and has produced it's first fruits.
The zucchini are great. I usually like to pick them when they're a little smaller, but I was out of town for a week and zucchini fruit grows fast. It was great to finally have fresh garden grown zucchini again. I was never able to overcome the blossom root when living in Charlottesville, VA. I could never get the soil right.
I didn't plan much this year because I'm in a rental until the family comes out at the end of summer, but next summer I plan to have a very big garden. Besides zucchini and the Better Boy I planted four Brandywine and four Cherokee tomatoes plants. I'm looking forward to see how they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment