Monday, May 26, 2014

Jacob's latest letter. He expresses his struggle with learning Portuguese

So lets talk about my Portuguese. Its pretty much the first thing that
comes to mind since I am talking, thinking.. doing everything in
Portuguese. Every night I come home and feel like an idiot because I
don't always deliver my thoughts perfectly. Which I don't even think i
could do in English lot of the time. My biggest worry is when i don't
really "understand" what someone is trying to tell me. Teaching
someone requires to do more then have an idea of what someone is
saying. This requires to listen with you head to understand what is
literally said and listening with your heart.. Or depending on your
companion... Which is probably been one of the most difficult things
to get used to. But i have also had some great progress with
Portuguese. Realized that I don't translate anymore. I either
understand or I don't. I either can say it or I think I can and i say
it wrong. When i first arrived people speaking fast was a probably.
Now it doesn't matter how fast someone is speaking, i understand.
Hopefully in another 6months i wont speak like a gringo anymore!!
Been studying a lot about being a good missionary. Preach My Gospel
helps a lot with this.. There is so many things through out the day
that I wish i had the Internet for but learning how to a good
missionary is not one of them. Preach My Gospel has it all... I have
been trying to look for these small details as well in the Book of
Mormon which is not as straight forward and Preach My Gospel and at
times even more straight forward. I have made a long list of how to be
a good missionary but do not have it with me so in short. Being a good
missionary requires a lot of WORK, prayer, fasting and a continual
effort to be more like Jesus Christ.
Something that pretty cool that happened this week. So probably my
favorite and least favorite investigators.. We decided to give them a
little bit of space maybe 2 weeks ago. The husband is always working
and doesn't make time to keep commitments but accepts the message and
thinks its true and wants to move forward. The wife on the other head
doesn't really care to much about religion. Finally when she started
to get interested she decided to look us up on the Internet. Now she
thinks we are devil worshipers or at least that's what her husband
says she will not say directly for us what she found on the Internet.
So when the husband first told us this  and said she didnt want to
talk with us again we decided to return for a little while. Finally
Saturday we decided it was time to go back, we took the quorum leader
with us who is/was/always will be a great missionary with us. Our goal
was to have the wife tell us about her doubts (we worship the devil)
and get her to go to church. We didnt get her to spit out that she
thinks we are devil worshipers but we did talk about a lot/ton of
other things. By the end of the lesson I was sure that she hated me. I
"worship" the devil. Don't speak the lang as beautifully as i would
like and say somethings very directly. But when the lesson was over
and we were saying good bye she told me that she missed me and wants
to know why she doesn't see us everyday anymore.. I was a little bit
blown away.
In short. We have been set apart to service. The spirit that is with
us is real. She may not recognize why she likes having us her in house
and miss us but it is because of the spirit that is with us. i dont
know many born again catholics that would tell devil worshipers that
they miss having them in there home...
Restoration of the Gospel is really happening and is still happening
everyday all over the world. Its happening in the homes of your
friends and family. Are you apart of it?
-- 
And they call me
Elder Anderson
For behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment