Monday, March 10, 2014

Jacob's 3/10/14 letter from Rio De Janerio, Brazil

I haven't talked about the food at all. So let me tell you about every single I have had since I arrived. For breakfast I eat eggs with some bread with a shake - that contains a banana ice and powdered milk- lately I have just been eating the shake for breakfast. The members give us lunch except on p-day. So for lunch on p-day I make a hamburger with some fruit or a shake. The members 5/6 (everyday but Sunday) pay for our lunch. There is a member that owns a restaurant so we eat there almost every single day except Sunday and Monday. We only have a few members who prepare food and eat with us, it’s just so much easier for them to give us 20 hies (10 dollars). When we eat the restaurant we get one plate and then we are on our way. Its fast and we never eat too much.
But when we eat with members it’s like a competition, who can make more food or who can eat more food. There are a few families in the ward that believe that the more food we eat the more blessings they receive.
We are always given the same thing to eat. Rice, beans, salad (usually
potato) with some type of meat. I have only had to eat fish once. I have eaten chicken and cow heart also some part of the cow that the member was not too sure about. ITs all really good if you add enough beans so I am always happy. If you want to have fun with the missionary's invite them over and try to make more food than they could ever possibly eat. Then tell them that they need to eat all the food because you will receive more blessings if they do. I am always really surprised at how much food me and my companion can eat whenever we are told this.
So I always struggle with what to write about because soo much happens in the week.. spiritually, emotionally and physically. So I try to do my best to talk a little bit about everything. So something I am having a really tough time learning is how to deal with being imperfect. If you believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ I think that we all can agree that our goal is to move towards perfection. So how do you handle it when you are not being perfect and you just cannot seem to get something right? I deal with this problem everyday and I've found myself every night writing about how I could have been better, what I should have done, what things I need to change... One of the last things I wrote was "will I ever have a time in my life when I look at where I am at think I have done all that I can, and ever thing is all good." In other words have I done things perfectly. The answer is No. I don’t not think I will be ever to look back and think I did things perfectly or doing them perfectly now. This is kind of sad and depressing though... I realized I need to change the way I look at the day and instead of only look at things I could have done better I need to remember first all the good I have done. I now start off by asking did I follow all of the commandments, which includes studying the words of the lord and prayer,  did I follow the rules of the mission with exactness, Did i do any good in the day, then i end with what could i have done better. As i have started to do this i have realized the accomplishments i have had in each day and how happy the lord must be with my effort. Though it is still very difficult to accept my imperfections i know that though the atonement of Jesus Christ I can, and i will change. I think by far the most important thing to remember is Mosiah 4:27.. "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order. " God doesn't not expect us to more than we can be.
But he has given us many talents and ability and he wants us to improve every single day. If you not reading (studying) the scriptures daily, start. The scriptures particular the BoM are so very important.
If you didn't study yesterday you will never be able to go back and change that you missed out on a huge opportunity you can only change and receive forgiveness by reading today.
--
And they call me
Elder Anderson


For behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ


No comments:

Post a Comment