Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Elder Joshua Anderson's latest letter from Scottesdale AZ

Not much has happened this week. We finally got one of our long-term investigators on date. He is married to two women and needs to get a divorce from one of them before he can be baptized. He doesn't live with either one of them though. He doesn't even know where one of them is... Anyways he has finally started saving up to get the divorce. We are hoping to baptize him in January. 

We also just started teaching a women named Mereciana. She is originally form west Africa and that culture still plays a big role in her life. She was a referral, so when we first met her we could tell that she was really nice. She invited us into her home immediately and fed us dinner. It was a lot of fun. now that we are teaching her she is making really great progress. We have tickets to go see the Phoenix temple open house to show her where she can be sealed to her family. 

We are also teaching a new person named Tamia. I guess she was originally a male and changed her sex. We met with her last night and she is super excited to meet with us. Last night she told us that she wanted to be baptized... We didn't really know how to respond, so I just told her that we should get through all the lessons before we get to that point. We called our mission president that night and asked him what we should do. I guess if she as had a sex changed she can't get married in this life. It is just so upsetting to see how Satan has got such a strong hold of people. There has already been so much damage that has been done it will be really really hard for Tamia to achieve Celestial glory- it is just so so so so sad. I am so grateful for parents who raised me in the church and kept me safe. They helped me stay on that straight and narrow path from the very beginning. 

On a happier note, my companion and I got to talk in sacrament meeting with our ward mission leader. We have an amazing ward mission leader and some great ward missionaries. We both gave about a five minute talk. I gave my talk with just bullet points to help me get through it. That was the first time I have ever done that and I think it went pretty well. At the end my companion and I taught the restoration to the congregation. I got to share the part about the first vision and I felt the spirit so strong. It was really amazing. I thought it would have been a good idea to share the first lesson so members could be more familiar about how we teach. It was actually really successful. We had a couple members that wanted us to come into their home and teach their friends that same thing we taught at the pulpit. I think once we showed them that the first lesson would not offend anybody in any way and that it really isn't that weird, they were more receptive to letting us teach their friends. 

Our bishop also gave us a guitar, which I have played everyday for lunch since I got it. Playing guitar is a great way to relieve stress. 

Well that's about all I have for this week. Before I finish I just want to thank my two older brothers for being a great example. You guys sound like you are really great Elders and I think it is so cool that Elder Joe Anderson is a zone leader and Elder Jacob Anderson is a district leader. I pray for you guys that you will continue to have success. 


- Elder Joshua Anderson 

No comments:

Post a Comment