Monday, January 20, 2014



We got a surprise call from the AP at like 830 one Monday night (P-day) and were told that he would be spending the next day and half with us. My companion was a little annoyed I guess going out with the AP is thought of more of a punishment then privilege. I was excited. He is American and knows English. The apartment was clean and I had cleaned my stuff early that day. I deff a perfect mission so I had nothing to worry about ;) The next morning we woke and got dressed and left the house as soon as possible. We then waited at a bus stop for about 45 min for the AP. He was late... We we got back to the apartment the first thing he said to me was.. Is this your desk? I proudly said yeah... (I thought he was complementing it). I had a lot of things on my desk.. I guess to much that I didn't need during study and though it was very organized but he did not see it as clean. He Then asked Did you spend 5 min organizing this before i got here? I didn't answer, I just kinda timidly acknowledge his comment. I had actually spent like 2 hours make it look nice the day before, P-day. He then explained then when it is messy it is more difficulty to feel the spirit and that is why the temple is so clean. My desk did not look like the temple. He then start taking everything off my desk and said the stuffy you need daily put here and if you don't need it daily put it here. I was a little in shock and it took me about 5 min to comply with his request. I just kind of stood there and watched him work. It was not just my desk he didn't like. He didn't like how i had my shoes organized, how clean the floor was and all of the other companion ships stuffy in our room that didn't need to be there. Finally when I grasped that this was real life I picked up the a little box that had all my pencils in it. I wanted to put it back on my desk because that's where i felt like it belonged but I know he wouldnt like that so I put it in the pile of things I didn't need daily; I took out a pen and my scripture marking pencil. This continued  for the next 15 until my desk met his standard. I could tell i still had a few things on my desk that he did exactly approve of but let slide.
My desk was deff organized and what I called clean at the time. I can see now looking back how others would not have looked my desk the same way and called it clean. I have since cleared a couple more things off of my desk and have committed to keeping my things more then just organized but clean. I feel like this would have been an impossible change to make in my life with out his help. I did not see a problem. I thought I was living my life correctly. I have repented of my dirty habit and committed to being more clean in all that I do. This my sound a little silly but this same idea is true with all of us in our life's. It is really hard to look at are own life's and try to know what we need to change. How can we become better. But that why is why we have been given the Gift of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost can make know to us things that we could have never seen before and through the atonement we can completely change. Even if it is as small as keeping a desk clean. Now you might think this is silly, but why not use the atonement it all things. Ask for the lord to help you recognize weakness in you life, pray for help to change it and do all the you can to change it. After pray for forgiveness and commit to never to do it again and pay attention to the difference. I have since done this made and made a list of 20 things and counting that I need to change. Some of them seem very small but I think thoe are going to be the most difficult to change!
This week we also had Stake conference, The Mission president, President Lima surprised us and showed up to speak. We all were arrived to the meeting about 30 min early after I talked with all the missionary I thought i should as well go talk to the mission president, I hadn't seen him in a few weeks. I walked up and sat next to him on the stand. We talked, joked around a little bit and he told me about 3 things i need to change. Starting with my where I swat and how I would dress from now on. He also gave me a message to deliver to the other messages.. awkward. When i went to go talk with the other missionary they made fun of me for going to talk to him, i was a little confused.. I think that they think of talking with president as a scary thing because he tells you that you need to change... I dint mind and even enjoy change. But half way through the meeting when it was presidents turn to speak I realized the result of my decision. President Lima asked me and my companion to come join him on the stand. He then told the stake that not my companion who knows Portuguese but I would be sharing my testimony with everyone. He caught me of guard and I was little nervous I shared my testimony with the ward a few weeks ago and i share my testimony with random people on the street but this was different..! I think for the next 2-3 i spoke Portuguese like I did the first week. But i guess this was the point that the President was trying to make. Even though i struggled with my saying exactly what i wanted and oh did i struggle the spirit was there. 
i am out of time!

And they call me
Elder Anderson
For behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ





No comments:

Post a Comment